Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 28, 2005

The Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook

Since Easter as a religious celebration of repentance, resurrection and redemption has somehow become what one of our friends calls a pagan holiday in worship of a rabbit, what better way to commemorate its closing two hours than to recommend the new book by one of my favorite children's writers, Shel Silverstein- The Runny Babbit. I have almost all his books- both poetry and stories- and they are, simply put, wonderful. Don't let the simplicity of the illustrations or themes fool you- there's more depth to his pirouetting alphabets and skip-rope jumping rhinocerouses than a 748-page Harry Potter novel (my Rowling-worshipping cousins are never going to talk to me again I know, but guys, remember, I love you very much!...). The last play Jude and I produced with the Drama Club was inspired by Silverstein's The Giving Tree and until today, I still think it's one of the best things we've ever done. I love all the poems in Where the Sidewalk Ends (There are audio clips on this site). The book was actually banned in some school districts because it was thought to undermine religious and parental authority- excuse me?? (I'm sure these are the same people who believe that the Teletubbies are gay and that Cabbage Patch Dolls are demon-possessed... Were their childhoods so sad and joyless as to deprive today's children of theirs??). And The Missing Piece Meets the Big O has a very special place in this girl's heart.

His new book, The Runny Babbit is a playful, hilarious carnival of words. There is Toe Jurtle, Skertie Gunk, Rirty Dat, Dungry Hog, Snerry Jake, and many others who speak a topsy-turvy language all their own. In the What's New section of the Silverstein site, you can see an animated excerpt of the book (as well all his other books), and if you don't run straight out to go buy the book after, I don't think I want to talk to a grouch like you... okok, I will, but only reluctantly... ;)

So if you say, "Let's bead a rook
That's billy as can se,"
You're talkin' Runny Babbit talk,
Just like mim and he.

No comments: