Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Sunny island set in the sea

My poor hair. I finally get it at a length that's somewhat manageable and cut in a way that gives it some semblance of body and shape (as opposed to plastered and gasping for life), and what happens? I've had it in braids ever since I came home. I can't help it! It is so hot, describing it alone raises my body temperature. And the humidity! Don't go there.... The only thing that makes up for it is being with friends and family again. To sum it up, one word: comforting. The hugs, the welcoming tone at the other end of the line when we call, the extra lengths gone to settle us in, that first sip of a kopi-O- we're home.

Even being sick at home is better. It's no big deal really, just a sore throat and slight fever (probably a rogue bug leftover from graduation weekend), but when people haven't seen you in a year, you getting the flu is equivalent to catching a disease of epidemic proportions. We're talking volunteering to take me to the doctor's and cooking special foods (us people with the flu bug are physically incapacitated and have very specific dietary needs of course...). The attention is, as I said, very comforting.

We're off to Kuala Lumpur for the weekend tomorrow. Jude's first trip with my family. It'll be fun. Loads of eating, shopping and just spending time with my parents and sisters. I've missed them...

No comments: