Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Us Kids Know

Today Serene and I walked into a record store for the first time in a long, long while. I meant to get a turntable last weekend so that I can at least get a couple of albums via vinyl and save a couple of bucks. (Here in Ann Arbor, vinyls are cheaper than CDs. Go figure. Everywhere else in the world it's the other way around) Anyway, we were browsing around in Schoolkids Records in Exile on State Street and the temptation was just too much. There were so many items on my "to-get" list that I literally had to rationalize and prioritize what I wanted. Eversince I sold all my records at home, I have decidedly changed my music shopping ways and have a NEED TO BUY criteria only. And so I decided to get the band that's got my goat ever since I first heard them- The Arcade Fire. I don't know what it is but this band always gets my brain's and body's attention everytime their music comes on. And today I decided to buy their self-titled debut EP. Though a much simpler effort than the towering and raucous 'Funeral', I can certainly see where Arcade Fire's roots lie ... that of youthful rebellion. I don't know, I may be getting old, but the lyrics of 'No cars go' still hit me somewhere between my rounding gut and my last rib ....

No Cars Go

Planes! Ships! Hey!
no Cars Go! Hey!
No Cars Go!
Where We know!
Spaceships! Subs! Hey!
Us Kids Know! Hey!
No Cars Go!
Where We know!
Between the click of the light and the start of the dream!



//jude//

No comments: