Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 01, 2005

High & Dry

We visited...
1) the south of Florida where hardly anyone spoke English ("Hablar Español?")
2) the north of Florida where hardly anyone spoke English ("Ken aye 'git y'all folks any-thang tuh-daay?")
3) the oldest city in America, St. Augustine. Yes, despite popular belief, the nation's oldest city is not Plymouth Rock or Jamestown, but down South in Florida, established as a Spanish settlement in 1565.

We ate...
1) more shrimp than I dare to admit. There had better not be some health advisory warning about the amount of shrimp intake a day...
2) amazing Cuban food at Puerto Sagua in Miami. I had NO idea pork could taste so good. And the coffee, oh the coffee...

We got...
1) more swimming in a week than we ever had. Between the beaches we visited and the pool on the farm- we were water babies like never before. Which leads me to...
2) more tan than I think my body needs. The last time I got a tan this bad, it was February 2003. I had to hide the tan lines at our wedding in June. That's how bad I tan. I'm now a strange hue between toast and roast, and I swear it's going to stay till Christmas...

We bought...
...surprisingly little for a week-long trip.
1) A T-shirt for Jude from a record store in Miami;
2) An angora hat from the Orlando airport (duly christened my "Dorothy Parker hat");
3) A tiny young lime tree for our neighbor who helped us plant-sit while we were gone. They look better now than they ever did with me. *Darn*
4) Alot of gas, and at an average of $2.69/ gallon, that's not funny. I'm just glad we're not there this week.

We decided...
1) after graduation, we should just move to St. Augustine and teach at one of the most beautiful colleges in the country, Flagler College. Imagine a college which has a building that was once one of the oldest hotels in the country, whose cafeteria is surrounded by priceless Tiffany windows worth millions of dollars, and a location by the river as if you were living in Monaco.
2) we never want to retire in Ocala. Bleed us dry first...

We took...
... too many photos to fit in Flickr. So here are just some.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flamingos are pink because they eat a lot of shrimp. Hmm, is your tan brown or pink? Could be a result of shrimp overload!

serene said...

It's more a shade of brown, mocha maybe. I doubt it's the shrimp- I'll be scared if it was...

Anonymous said...

Well, technically, since 1565 is well before "America" declared its independence, St. Augustine can't be the "oldest" city in America, but what later became the lower 48 states. And, from my culinary knowledge of Cuban foods, coffee and roast pig are specialities of the tiny island. I'm so jealous. No fairs! As for the tan, I have successfully dodged the sun this summer, thus managing to keep my skin colors to (hopefully) two. That is my under clothes color and my left driving arm. No what 3 - the tan on my legs from shorts...