Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

No, we didn't have fried chicken.

Until two days ago, I'd never gone camping- EVER; I'd never rock-climbed, not even at the gym; and I'd never had salami and chips together for breakfast. Well as of today, been there, done that. Not successfully on all counts of course- the salami and chips in particular didn't go down too well with my digestive system...

Finally let myself be persuaded to go on a rock climbing/ hiking trip to Kentucky (my husband can be VERY persistent...). The thing that's always bugged me about going camping is the shower, or the lack thereof. Ok, so I'm neurotic when it comes to being clean- both myself, and the environment around me. So you can see how sleeping in a tent with little to no access to fresh water in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky was a potentially problematic prospect. But in the end everything worked out. The camp ground we pitched at had a shower facility (5 minutes for a dollar which amazingly is more than enough time), and I slept miraculously well on just a foam mat sans sheets nor pillow. So there was lunch on Saturday when we had to eat on-site with our hands after climbing and I had chalk and balm and goodness knows what else on my hands (bug remains probably), but you give in to the hunger and the sheer exhaustion, and dirty fingers become the last thing on your mind.

On the whole, it was good healthy fun. The experience was kind of exhilirating actually even though I wouldn't recommend plunging headlong into it without having been to the rock-climbing gym first. That part was a little nerve-wrecking for me. But you get over it after a while especially when you know that the people with you are not only seasoned rock-climbers, but your good friends too. A whole ton of trust and faith is involved- in your own strength, as well in the people supporting you, so being with great company really helps. Neither Jude nor I made it completely up the main crag but just being halfway up was kind of awesome. Painful, but in a good way... Rock-climbing takes strength and agility, but also a little courage and psychological tenacity. I kept giving up at this one level and the thing is, once your mind is convinced you can't move beyond that, your body isn't likely to push itself to try either. It's a lot of discipline- physical and psychological, something I sorely need to work on.

Jude and I went hiking while the rest of them climbed on and it was gorgeous. Wildflowers everywhere, plants of every conceivable shade of green, and voracious bugs that teemed with an exuberance so unfettered I was mildy envious. I know little else about Kentucky except for fried chicken and the Derby, so being there and basking in its rugged beauty was an interesting experience. I can't say much about the people except that they listen to music that makes me just that tad uncomfortable ("I lost my girlfriend who ran away with my brother. She took my money, my heart and my guns. She took my guns, she took my guns... Repeat to fade"), and that they look at you funny, probably coz Jude and I were likely to be the only Asians in a fifty-mile radius. Now that's scary...

Our Flickr account is maxed out for the month so the photos are on the Yahoo! site.

My best friend would be so proud of me, aren't you? ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am but Biking, Camping...? its like I don't know you anymore. If you start playing badminton, I am coming to Ann Arbor to get you before it all goes pete tong...