Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Creature Comforts







Noooooo! Say it isn't so! Visited Stan's blog only to see this article, and my heart then proceeded to break into a million little wallaces and gromits... Aardman Animation's warehouse in Bristol burned to the ground this morning and with it, all the original sketches, storyboards and figurines of my beloved Aardman characters. I literally let out an audible intake of breath followed by what must have sounded like a semi-shriek meets a dismayed moan...

These are some of the loveliest creations of animated art, and have made me smile in a way only few others have- Hayao Miyazaki and Tim Burton come closest. Even the characters of Pixar, while wonderful, like A. O. Scott said in his review, lack a certain depth.

I am sad.

I'll be counting sheep tonight as I fall asleep, Aardman sheep...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about the fire on Monday evening on NPR - but with your showing of "cracklin' good" joy, I didn't want to say anything. However (maybe some good news), I heard that they tended not to keep the figurines used in the animation because they disintegrated on their own anyway.

Remember, it's all just stuff, no matter how sentimental. Wallace and Gromit didn't die in the fire, and neither did your love for them. :) Cheer up...[Hug]

serene said...

thanks for the virtual hug allison- *sniff sniff* i needed it...