Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The beat my heart skipped

And this is something my cousin Terri will totally empathize with- they've released all the Calvin & Hobbes cartoons into one giant 3-volume collection!! Hailed as the last great newspaper comic strip, I was in mourning when Bill Watterson retired only after 10 years of drawing two of my favorite cartoon strip characters (who, I was flabbergasted to find out, are named after two rather humourless philosophers- John Calvin & Thomas Hobbes) to concentrate on painting. There are a few cartoons I still love today, like Foxtrot (as a teacher, I couldn't decide if I love Jason or not...) and the bittingly funny Sherman's Lagoon, but there's nothing like the flights of fancy mounted by an endearingly annoying little boy and his more than intelligent stuffed tiger.

[click on each strip to enlarge]



The strip first introducing Calvin's epic love-hate relationship with feminist-to-be Susie Derkins:


This story arc made me realize that deep down inside, this tyrant of a six-year old might not be such a brat afterall:



And who said cute cartoon strips can't make insightful political commentary?


NPR has a good story on the new collection.

No comments: