Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 06, 2005

LiveSTRONG

Ok, I have new found respect for Lance Armstrong. He's no longer some guy who wears a yellow wrist band, is engaged to Sheryl Crow, and just happens to bike really well. Biking really well has taken on a whole new meaning...

So Jude & I finally both have our own bikes. He got his off Craigslist a couple of weeks ago and has actually been biking to school already; we just got mine today with the birthday ang-pow my parents gave me. I think Jude was more eager than me to baptize my new aluminium toy so we went trail-biking with Olivier. Mind you, this was my first serious biking experience in a long time. The last time we biked like that was around Rottnest Island off Perth four years ago.

Anyways, so off we went along the trail (ok, off they went, I was trying hard to figure out how to bike straight- I still can't understand why that was so hard for me- use my fancy brakes and gears, and not quite succeeding...) and what should happen on my first trail biking expedition and on my new bike no less? I hit a huge branch and fall. Hard. And the bike kinda landed on my chin. *Darn* And so Jude and Olivier come by to find me most unglamorously slumped in a pile of aluminium (the bike was of course unscathed, not even a scratch), wet leaves, soil, and incomprehensibly, ash.

I'm fine now- the chin still hurts a little and my right arm's a little sore, but generally ok. It was in retrospect really rather exhilirating- I know Jude had a blast :) Just give me some time to work on my coordination skills and reflex action- maybe in a month or so I'll be able to empathize more with people who would willingly put themselves in undignified tights, a funny platypus-bill looking helmet, three layers of thermal wind-proof clothes and ride in Winter.

My Trek 4500 WSD:


Jude's Gary Fisher Marlin:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Join the club....

Stan D. said...

Ouch! Make sure you get a fancy new helmet with that fancy new bike!

serene said...

I *have* a fancy new helmet, that's why it's my arm that's hurting not my head. Myabe I should get biking armor...

Anonymous said...

If your arm is still hurting a week later, you might want to get an x-ray. Or sooner....

Oh, and, Yay for your new bikes!!!

Anonymous said...

Did you go biking around a trail around some lake? (Olivier should know where I'm talking about.)