Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Home for the holidays

I don't think I could have had a more varied spectrum of experiences than I have in the past four days. On Wednesday, it was a typically brisk December morning in Ann Arbor complete with slick ice and deep chill; spent the rest of that day and most of the next stuck next to the most obnoxious Chinese man known to humanity in a stifling air-controlled space that would have out-claustrophobized Claustrophobia if ever there were such a thing; thankfully, the Tokyo-Singapore leg was more forgiving and I managed to not only catch some sleep (whatever sleep means on a seven-hour flight...) but also the sublimely comforting Wallace & Gromit :) And then, against my better judgement, I immediately proceeded to go Christmas shopping with my sisters the very next day- ok, really people, not a good idea. The throngs of Christmas shoppers in Orchard Road- Takashimaya specifically- were mindfully executing a coordinated plan to overwhelm me- M.O.: shoving, jostling, shouting, long lines at the cash registers, people using their shopping bags as defensive and offensive weapons, etc... They emerged victorious because Serene Koh was mentally and physically exhausted by 3pm- I had to plea for a coffee break. And this is from someone who used to be able to do all her Christmas shopping in a day without breaking a sweat, with coffee on the run at that... I think I'm going to stay indoors the next couple of days.

On a less dizzying note, I managed to find a copy of Zadie Smith's On Beauty in paperback at Kinokuniya (with a gorgeous cover no less- yes, I'm shallow like that...). Will finally be able to read it in peace instead of surreptitiously reading bits and pieces of it everytime we go to a bookstore. It'll be good bedtime material after I'm done with all this infernal grading... Also, trimmed our Christmas tree with my sisters and my godsons last night when they came to visit. It was an absolute blast and the two rascals were sheer joy as always (although I'm sure their long-suffering mother would desperately beg to differ).

Spent the morning getting ready for a party my sister's having tonight- decorating the house, cooking, and the most fun of all, putting together the little gingerbread house I brought back from Trader Joe's with Sam. It was alot easier than I had expected- the pieces were all nicely packed and you just have to assemble them with icing. It's so pretty although some of the gingerbread cookie pieces cracked from the plane ride I think. Sam had the most fun putting the decorative trimmings on the house :) The pics are up on Flickr- let us know what you think!

It is such simple pleasure to be around family during the holidays- getting things ready, enjoying each others company, and just all being together. I'm glad I'm home :)

No comments: