Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Couch spuds

So let's see, we officially received cable access today at 10.38am and I do have to say that I exercised an inordinate and admirable amount of self-restriant by only watching 20 minutes of it while having lunch (do you know that the person who first brought Area 51 to the public's attention was a man named Bob Lazar? Thank you History Channel...)

But that was this afternoon.

The moment after we had dinner, the night went by in a complete blur. Jude and I sat through 2 hours of back-to-back The '70s Show (I love Hyde and Kitty, well, not together of course...), channel-surfed between The Parent Trap (with a pre-pubescent Lindsay Lohan- don't ask...) and Battlestar Gallactica (Jude almost lost his breath when it came on...), a spot of Comedy Central, about 30 minutes of Space Odyssey: 2001 (15 minutes of which was a gratuitous LSD-induced nightmare-scape that looked as if Stanley Kubrick decided to commit his s screensaver to film), and a little bit of Emeril where he made chocolate fettuccine. By midnight, you would have had to scrape us off our couch... I swear, we were like Cookie Monster let loose at a Pepperidge Farm convention. We are even convinced that ads on cable are better than on network channels... We who have been deprived are seldom lucid in our rationalizations.

Did I mention that we now have 95 channels?...

4 comments:

Noor said...

why did you guys decide to get cable?

Anonymous said...

That posts reminds me of my 10 year-old version of myself. (I would be so engrossed with episodes of Anne of Green Gables that I would literally not hear when my friends left the house.)

While your addiction sets in, remember to take deep breaths and but breathing normally, and that the previous-channel button is your best friend.

serene said...

hi noor,
one word- "oscars". we (ok, I) realized for the past three years, we've had friends whose cable we could sponge off when the oscars were on, but this year, they've all moved away. so it was a toss up between watching the oscars via atenna (which is completely unacceptable), or shamelessly inviting ourselves to someone's house on Mar 5, which was too much for my dignity to bear. and so the decision of last resort.

besides, winter is always a good reason to just stay warm at home and veg out in front of the TV... :)

serene said...

i know what you mean duc, but having cable also means we may now never leave the cave... ;)