Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 18, 2006

424 SAR stands down (1990 - 2006)

[click for larger version]

It has been a long time since I last thought about these guys. In fact, if it weren't for an unexpected phone call this morning, I probably would not have known that the unit was standing down. Having spent a good part of my youth with these guys, I have to admit that I am feeling a wee bit sentimental after hearing about the fact that the unit is standing down. In fact, as I am writing this, the guys are having their final parade back in the old camp. Don't get me wrong, I probably wouldn't like to don the ole' camouflage uniform again, but the closing of the unit means that I probably would not have a reason to see the people with whom worked, played and sweated it out with since the age of 18.

The National Service experience was certainly not easy for me and I have ambivalent feelings about my experience in the unit. However, indulge me in a moment of nostagia here. Here are some hard-to forget memories of the time spent at 42 Singapore Armoured Regiment:

- Sargent Jothi's midnight pep talks. The one which I still remember today was about him telling us that "the only constant in this world is change" when we were disappointed about not being able to book out of camp because of a high key recall.

- The feeling that you get when you have completed the final obstacle on the Standard Obstacle Course (the ramp) and are running towards the finish point.

- Saturday afternoon clean-up sessions where you know that you are going to book-out of camp and the radio is playing while you are doing your chores.

- Before lights out talk-cock sessions with Benedict and Lionel sharing smokes and drinks. (Which I AM sure that they are going to do tonight).

- The CO telling us on our first day in camp that "Once armour always armour" and that we had no hopes of transferring out to any other unit.

- The weird nicknames that we gave each other: small fuck, slut, gillardo, heejack ...

- Army catch phrases that we pick up: "Shout like thunder, move like lightning", "Don't pretend", "wake up your idea", and our degratory term for officers ... "occifers".

- Riding shotgun on top of the tank with the vehicle commander as it goes hurtling down a slope.

- Using a sharpie marker to cover up the dent that I made on the tank while I attempted to drive it (and it does look like I got away with it).

- The lizard which chirps "fuck you" in middle of the night in Camp Cresendo, Thailand.

And I am sure the list goes on. Feel free to add to my list in the comments :)

To the gents of 424SAR C Company Platoon 2 : It has been a pleasure indeed.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am formerly from 42SAR 'K', and completed my stand down with 424SAR 'A'.

It was quite a nostalgic affair I supposed. But all things, good or bad, have to come to an end.

Wishing all 42/424 guys all the best!

Anonymous said...

Like what Chiok has say All good things must come to an end, its quite sad actually thou none of us will admit i will miss the ICT days
Wishing all 424 guys all the best

HQ

Anonymous said...

Hi Jude, Kee Wee here.

How's life?

By the way, the standdown parade was another showcase for william chua again.More like a fun fair than a nostalgic farewell event.

I went back to platoon 8 bunk and took a look. It looked very different.
The toilet that we washed every morning last time had been upgraded.
Hehe.. we had spent quite a lot of efforts cleaning that bloody toilet 15 yrs ago.

Sigh...
Somehow, we do miss some of the good and bad times in NS..

jude said...

Chiok CC: Yes, I agree with you about the nostalgia, however, there was a point in time when I really wanted them to stop calling us back. So I would say, in way now that this unit has stood down, it's a welcome relief.

KeeWee: Long time no see! How's it going with you? Life is pretty ok for me. Busy with school for the most part. I can't believe that you actually went to look at the toilet and can even remember that we used to clean it. Aren't you glad that you don't have anything to do with WC now that the unit has stood down? It's like we could never get rid of him :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jude,

We were toilet buddies for two years. How can I forget?

I still could remember that you were rather pissed off that Lionel was mast**bat*** in the toilet cubicle and made a mess out of it.haha..

As for myself, I am ok too but the worklife is a bit too hectic at times.

Anonymous said...

Kee Wee,
At first i tot u mean that ur worklife is so hectic that u actually mast**bat*** in the toilet cubicle and made a mess out of it.haha..

jude said...

Hahahaha, how could I forget the daily "stand by toilet" inspections? And are you sure it was lionel that caused the mess? I can't remember. I remember cleaning up though :(

Anonymous said...

Hi Jude! Great to find you and this thread here, thanks to my old buddy, Kee Wee. The stand down parade, despite all its fanfare, does indeed mark a special moment for many of us - the closing of the NS chapter in our lifes. What we do really miss are, perhaps not exactly days in our green uniforms, but friends and buddies who walked this same path with us together all these years. Like we've congratulated and thanked each other that day, it was indeed my pleasure to have you guys shared this NS experience with me. Of course, including you too, Jude.

Your buddy of 42SAR'L', 424SAR'C',
Andy Yew

jude said...

Hey Andy,

Long time no see. Yeah, I have to agree, it isn't about the unit but the people we spent time in the unit with. :)

jude

Anonymous said...

Take care guys.