Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Payback

So, to return the favor of bringing me to watch two not totally unenjoyable but no less noisy avant garde metal concerts, I dragged Jude to watch The Lake House yesterday. It wasn't totally planned so I didn't really know what to expect. Jude told me that NPR had called the movie "insipid", and the NYT review did say that you have to suspend some hold on reality or the whole intergrity of the film would collapse... Great, my husband's going to barely contain his sniggering throughout the 90 minutes and I'll feel bad for bringing him to a cheesily bad chick flick...

Thankfully, neither of that happened. He didn't snigger (if he did, I didn't notice), and I didn't feel bad at all after the movie. It was actually a pleasant surprise and I was strangely moved at the end. We both have issues with how things were resolved and it would have been an infinitely more poignant movie had the ending been different, but on the whole, I think we both enjoyed it. The narrative was elegantly strong, and as implausible as the premise may be, it wasn't difficult to truly suspend logic for that 90 minutes. Don't try to deconstruct the movie with any kind of rationality- that'll be like watching American Idol and believing that your votes actually matter...

Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves have aged significantly since they were in Speed together and it shows (esp. for Sandra Bullock in all those uncessarily long close-up shots...). But they've also matured, Keanu Reeves in particular- I wouldn't have believed anyone if they had told me 10 years ago that he was capable of emoting. There are scenes where the solitude, loneliness and a very palpable sadness emnate from no where else but the presence of the two actors. It helps too that the film is set in Chicago; in fact, the whole thing seemed like an affectionate paean to the city and it's architectural beauty. I think that lent some soul and gravitas to the film's enterprise.

The soundtrack was particularly evocative too- tons of Nick Drake (I mean, what's a semi- angsty love story without some Nick Drake?), a nice smidgen of Paul McCartney, and a gorgeously lush opening track from The Clientele.

The Lake House isn't going to win any awards, but for that 90 minutes, just give in a little and indulge in the easy fantasy of hope, waiting, and fulfilment...
So I lingered with the people
In the silent August glade
But the rain has brought the night
And the night has brought the rain.
- (I Can't Seem To) Make You Mine, The Clientele

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Serene, after I'm done writing my screenplay, I'm going to insist that you are in charge of the soundtrack.

serene said...

It will be my pleasure Allison! :) How is that screenplay going btw?...

xyz said...

randomly googled "the lake house" and found your blog. saw the movie saturday -- had no idea what it was about, just knew who was in it -- and yes, as insane as the plot was it was just so deliciously sweet. i hate to throw the entire space time continuum out the window, but i'm a sucker for a movie with a good romantic chase in it. this wasn't entirely sappy, and even though it made me gag in some instances with its cliche, it was very good. wished the ending could have been a little longer, but oh well... maybe the dvd will have deleted scenes. and yes, with a different ending (ie alex going bye-bye on val day) it would've been a very different flick. the movie reminded me a lot of "the notebook" in some way. ahhh... gotta love those crazy chick flicks full of yearing and hunky heros.