Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, July 14, 2006

What do I do with him?...

When I opened this email just moments ago, I didn't know whether to get livid at him for being so obnoxious or to laugh out loud at how endearing his disdain is for one of my all-time favorite movies. This is what my dear husband sent me [verbatim quote]:

You've been grammatically wrong :)

[From BoingBoing]

"You've got mail" should be "you have mail." The "have" contracted in phrases like this is merely an auxiliary verb indicating the present perfect tense, not an expression of possession. It is not a redundancy. Compare: "You've sent the mail."

Smarty-pants...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So the correct grammar is: "You have mail, but it has been sent by a strangely pie-eyed Meg Ryan"? or "You have mail that has been sent to you, but Meg Ryan seems doped out of her head and I think you need to call the police"?