Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, August 04, 2006

Guilty pleasure

[** Spoiler warning: Ok, I've just been duly chastised by my best friend for irreparably spoiling her Project Runway-watching experience. She is no longer willing to be my emotional crutch or name one of children after me. Apparently, Season 2 isn't over in Singapore and by clicking on the show's link, she was disillusioned to not only find out that the episodes showing in Singapore now are not "live", but also too much information about things she didn't want to know. So, warning to those of you at home: don't read on or foray into the unknown if you want to watch the rest of Season 2 and Season 3 in ignorant bliss!...]


I love Project Runway.

It's my one reality TV indulgence. Ever since religiously following the really early seasons of Amazing Race, I've categorically avoided all reality TV programs- I think they're exploitative, self-aggrandizing, and full of talentless wannabes in search of their 7 seconds of fame, only to be relegated to Battle of the Network Reality TV Stars once they're no longer the flavor of the moment. Who cares if you can perfectly parallel-park a 16-wheeler? Or that you've invented an all-in-one sash-dress-underwear held together by velcro? And honestly, just because your voice can quiver at a pitch higher than Mariah Carey's does not automatically mean you can sing.

Now Project Runway on the other hand, I like (I even got Jude addicted too!). I mean, these people have real skill, and they're actually making something of their own creation. Honestly, once you get pass the whole hand-fluttering "omigod-i-luuuuuurve-this-faaabulous-fabric" poseur fashionista routine, it really is great TV- drama, humor, backstabbing, and a whole ton of nail-biting tension thrown in for good measure (even though I didn't think last night's controversy was as big a deal as if they had revealed that one of the contestants slept with Heidi Klum... like say... Kayne! She turned him straight! *gasp*...)

My money's on Uli to win- her designs are beautiful, but still wearable and she's got such a down-to-earth feel to her. The best thing is, she stays above the bitchiness that some of the contestants alwways descend into... I just hope they don't get rid of her just coz she may not be as interesting (see Katherine and Bonnie). And who else was sad to see Malan go?? At first, I thought he was kind of arrogant and pompous (what's with that silly accent??); but when he took full responsibility for that tree trunk of a dress and how upset he was that he had to leave, I felt so bad for him...

My other favorite is Bradley- dear endearingly wacky Bradley. I'm not sure how far he'll get, but please just keep him on coz he's so scruffy and sweet! And c'mon, didn't you just love his whole "I think she doesn't like my beard" thing last night? I was so happy he didn't have to leave on his birthday last week, and that the judges loved his panic-induced outfit! :) Besides, I think he might also be the only guy among them who's not gay (well, and maybe Michael), but Jude thinks these days, you never know...

Our friends are already planning for a Project Runway finale party (we had a low-key one for Season 2). This time, everyone has to turn up to the party wearing their favorite outfit from the season- I don't care if I have to tape, staple or glue the darn thing together, I'm there already!

Carry on!
I'm a fish out of water. I'm a squid with no ocean.
-Bradley, Project Runway

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What? You had a Project Runway party and didn't invite me!? I'm so addicted to that show!!!

Heidi is socute, and I'm so glad that that one cheater-jerk got tossed out. From Episode 1, I suspected that he was full of bull. I look forward to Wednesdays so much now! It brings out the gay man in me so much. Glorious!