Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Raindrops keep falling on my head

What a way to start the Fall. It's been raining all week and for most of today, and I feel as if summer's been over for weeks already. As much as I love Fall and everything associated with it- the colors, the fruits, my birthday!- I hate the fact that we're not going to be able to enjoy the breezy warm weather again for another 8 months (if we're lucky...). And if there's something this household doesn't do, is go down without a good fight. So what do we decide to do on this rainy first day of Fall? Well, defiantly throw a BBQ party of course! What else do people do?

We just needed to tell ourselves that we at least attempted to bring the grill out for one last hurrah before retiring it for the year. So we had some our friends over for grilled short-ribs (Korean kal-bi), teriyaki chicken, veggie skewers and hotdogs. It was like playing catch-and-mouse initially- we'd take everything outside only to have it start drizzling, and so we'd move the stuff back in. I even started grilling the veggies in the oven coz I didn't want a house full of food (we had 12 lbs of beef ribs people...) but nothing to eat. Eventually the weather held up and we managed to hang out and cook outside for a bit before it started to really pour. There was more than enough food to go around and right now, we still have at least 4 lbs of beef, 2 huge bowls of salad, grilled veggies, hotdogs (and buns), and beer in our fridge. Guess what's for dinner for the next week?...

Frankly though, now that our little demonstration of defiance against the gods of the seasons is over, I have to admit that I am looking forward to the Fall. As the rain beats down against our windows and my feet just that slightly tingly from the chill, I anticipate many more such nights when I'll make myself a mug of hot chocolate or milky tea and curl up in bed with a book or the laptop. It'll be nice- we've been through it before and we survived... :)

Happy first day of Fall everyone!
The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.

The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.

- Emily Dickinson, Nature 27- Autumn

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hi girl,

See Tara's pics here!!!

http://tara-jade.blogspot.com/

Chris

serene said...

OMG! she's such a cutie!!! and so happy!! i want to so pinch her cheeks man... love the idea of a baby blog :) will check in all the time now!