Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 14, 2006

What a cupcake...


Lemon cupcakes
Originally uploaded by jyew.
...and I'm not just talking about the baked good. If anyone knows how to say "no" to a five-year old, please let me know, because I clearly do not possess that ability. All they have to do is to give me one of those saucer-eyed "you-mean-the-word-to-me" looks, coupled with a tight hug and a snuggle, and I turn into mush, least of all a cupcake.

So Audrey comes over a couple of nights ago determined to show Jude & I her new outfit for school (she started kindergarten last week). It was cute- a leopard-print skirt with leggings and a denim jacket- definitely a walking Gap ad. Anyways, somehow, between her tellling me about her new teacher, Miss Connor and me carrying (yes, carrying) her home, she managed to convince me that I needed to bake her some cupcakes. I don't know how it happened, I don't know what magical powers of persuasion she conjured- it's all a blur.

All I know is when I brought these lemon cupcakes over just now (topped with melted chocolate because one can never give a five-year old enough sugar right?...), the look on her face was so precious that it made all the effort worth it. They ain't no heavenly cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery in New York (famous already even before the publicity from Sex in the City and that Saturday Night Live skit on the Chronicles of Narnia), but for the little girl next door, they were good enough :)

No comments: