Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pop

So as part of Serene Koh's continuing initiation into American culture, I decided to foray into a culinary unknown today.

I ate my first Pop Tart. Frosted Brown Sugar and Cinnamon if you must know.

It was... how shall I say this... OK. I mean, I wasn't sure what to expect, but maybe something more exciting? I hear people talk about it as the quintessential American snack- Lorelai and Rory love it on Gilmore Girls, there's a Smashing Pumpkins song all about it, and didn't it essentially kill someone in Pulp Fiction? Maybe I was hoping for something which snapped, crackled and popped, or exploded with taste, tickled my tastebuds, tantalized my senses... I don't know, the pop tart was just... fine, I guess. Kinda like a cross between a cookie, a covered pineapple tart from home, and a biscuit. And it's way flatter than it looks on the box. I was a little bummed...

Maybe I should start looking out for a deep-fried Twinkie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think PopTarts are pretty gross myself. I haven't eaten them since maybe middle school, but I think the fruit-type ones might be tastier than the sugar-filled ones.

Oh wait, they're all sugar-filled. They're like smashed-flat versions of snack pies. Have you tried those? Back in the day, there used to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles snack pies that were filled with bright green custard. They were disgusting and I loved them.

Anonymous said...

Try the rasberry flavor.

I remember them being extraordinary when I was a kid, and then when I was an adult, they were....good. I think age of exposure is a big part of it.

serene said...

hey chrispy- yeah, eric suggested that the fruit ones are the more canonical flavors. i might give it another shot, although if age of exposure really matters, then it might have missed it's chance to impress me...