Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, March 23, 2007

Sonic Youth to perform Daydream Nation in its entirety


So we were really impressed with the Pitchfork Music Festival last year. And although this year's lineup has yet to be fully announced, we've gone ahead and bought our 3-day pass to the event already. And the thing that has gotten me really excited is the fact that Sonic Youth will be performing Daydream Nation, the full album, in all its noisy, dreamy and teen-angsty glory. This performance of Daydream Nation comes as part of All Tomorrow's Parties- Don't Look Back series. Also, the performance comes on the eve of the album's 20th anniversary since its release. It's pretty amazing to think about this album and how far it's come - it was added to the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress in 2005. That's saying something about the cultural significance of this work, let alone the personal significance to thousands of teens growing up in the 80s. But enough of the "incredibly cheesy sentences extolling the album's greatness".

I thought that it'd be a good idea to attach a photo that I managed to take with the band when they performed in Singapore in 1996. Click here for a funny story about that interview. I was working as a freelance journalist then and had the good fortune to be able to interview the band with Lim Cheng Tju. Someday I'll put up the interview that we conducted with Thurston Moore on my personal- and as yet illusory- website :)

But enough about the past, in the meantime, until I lay on the grass in Union Park, Chicago in July, closing my eyes to a live rendition of "Teen Age Riot", I guess watching the video online will just have to do.

No comments: