Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Track of the week: Over the Ice - The Field



Call it whatever you like - microhouse, ambient pop, shoegaze, My Bloody Valentine-esque electro, glacial Nordic soundscape ... Whatever it is, Axel Wilner, a.k.a The Field from Stockholm has me reaching for my currency converter to calculate how much 11.99EU is in US dollars. Much hyped by Pitchfork and this glowing review by InFactAh, I am completely unable to resist this. There's something about these Nordic folks and their electronic music... I've also been obsessed with another Nord, Trentemoeller. Check out this paragraph from InFactAh:

This is music for imagining a utopian future to, for dreaming of running through alpine fields with that cute girl on the other side of the dancefloor and for hoping that this tune lasts forever and you never have to open your eyes. Simply stated, it’s truly beautiful music. At this point, words run out... The Field knows some deep magic, the likes of which we probably haven’t seen since the ‘90s heyday of ‘Selected Ambient Works’ or ‘The Brown Album’. Frankly it doesn’t really matter what music you’re normally into, I think you still need this record. It’ll make you a better person.

By the way, the track comes from The Field's new album From Here We Go Sublime and you can preview it here. And on The Field's MySpace page, there's a better track than the one I'm streaming called "Everyday". Damn you kompakt ... I thought I was done with electronic music forever ...

Update: Serene says that I should retitle this post "Release your inner techno beng" :)

No comments: