Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Of Cutie and bunnies...

Thanks to my cousin, Terri for posting this Death Cab for Cutie video!



I've always loved the song (see here and here), but for some reason, have never seen the video. It's so very sad though... And it reminds me of another bittersweet story about bunnies- well, a bunny, and one that has become a defining piece of children's literature for me. It's no lofty epic or anything, and it is precisely this simplicity that makes the story so deeply profound and unbearably moving.

I will never forget the first time I read it- I was eighteen, sitting on my bed, clutching the book to my chest and virtually choking on my tears. It's so powerful and so fiercely elemental, almost frighteningly so. If you have 20 minutes today, please spend it on the Velveteen Rabbit- it will be one of the most remarkable 20 minutes of your life.

The Velveteen Rabbit, or How Toys Become Real
(full text with original illustrations)
by Margery Williams

Illustrations by William Nicholson

3 comments:

T said...

i just went to read up on it, happens that this vid only appears on their Plans DVD. the mtv of this is something different. i just watched it again, it made me cry ;(

Feng said...

Hi!

I'm an undergrad at U-M and I somehow stumbled across your blog, only to realize that you both are Singaporeans too! But I don't believe I've met you before, maybe because the UMSSA is primarily comprised of undergrads. Anyway, hope you're enjoying the nice weather in Ann Arbor now! I'm doing spring term and it's going good!

Cheers,
Feng Yi

serene said...

hi feng yi!
what a coincidence! i've long suspected that there are definitely more s'poreans here than we know... how long have you been here and what are you studying? drop me an email- my uniqname is "serenek" :) and yes, we are enjoying the spring!