Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 30, 2007

An oldie goodie


Vanilla ice cream with mixed fruits
Originally uploaded by jyew.
For all the crème brulees in the world, there are just days when all a girl needs to satisfy her sweet tooth is a simple vanilla ice-cream with a generous heapful of mixed fruit from a can. I appreciate fancy desserts as much as the next person, but honestly, when push comes to shove, there is no more comforting a dessert than good ol' ice-cream.

I know this sounds boring, but once in a while, I do enjoy some vanilla flavored ice cream- not French Vanilla, which is a little too cloying; just regular down-to-earth vanilla. Sometimes having too much going on in your ice-cream (fudge pieces with chocolate-coated cashews and caramel swirls with dots of marshmallow and fruit- enough already!) is just... well, too much. Vanilla is wonderfully versatile, goes great with pies, fruits, Nutella, or just on its own. It's also a very elemental thing- when we were kids, vanilla ice-cream was the safest dessert my parents would give us, and so it often reminds me of childhood somehow.

Today, I was just craving it with some mixed fruit. Get the lite version that's usually made with pear juice rather than sugar syrup. That way, you don't detract from the creaminess of the ice-cream too much, and it doesn't get overwhelmingly sweet. It was delicious- simple, sweet and comforting, and thrown together in a jiffy. I suppose you could jazz it up with some shredded mint leaves, but honestly, who are we kidding? I could barely wait to take this picture before slurping it all up!...

2 comments:

A said...

I say, here-here! Well said!

Noor said...

I haven't had this in years! Thanks for the reminder! It was something my mom made when I was little. It is a pretty popular combination in the Middle East.