Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, July 23, 2007

We caved in and bought a Wii ...


We caved in ...
Originally uploaded by jyew.
There are those of you in Ann Arbor who know that I've been lusting after the Wii for a while. In fact, a number of you have reproached me for actually picking up and then putting down a Wii that I found in Best Buy. So with Serene's help in tracking down Wii shipments, we finally caved in and got one ... but not for ourselves. Rather we got the Wii for my parents.

The rationalization process goes as follows:

- We have been playing with Rick and Emilee's Wii over the past couple of months, and have been really impressed with the games, the lack of "gamer specific" skills, and family friendly level of interaction afforded by the Wii.

- Besides, we've begun hearing about how the Wii is currently being used in hospitals to help patients with low impact physicality and also to burn a few calories. Also, there has been talk about the Wiis as a way to rehabilitate the stroke patient's brain activity. Trust me when I say this, the Wii sports games do help me break out into a healthy sweat.

- My dad is in his 70s and has never really taken to the computer yet. I am thinking of the Wii as a way to ease him into technology and the Internet. I think the he watches way too much TV now and the Wii might help him stay active (he used to bowl a lot, and the Wii Bowling interface is awesome). Also, he might like to be introduced to the Internet via the Wii www browser. For those of you who haven't tried surfing the web via the Wii, you should definitely try it. The Wiimote is a nice input device and the fact that you can get the Internet on the large TV screen are big pluses.

- My mom is in her late 60s and she's taken to the Internet like a duck to water. And she loves puzzle games, especially the online word games. But her eyes have been giving her trouble and the laptop screen might not be ideal for her.

- Lastly, if my parents don't use the device, I can always find a use for it myself ;)

What do people think about the benefits of using the Wii? Have I made a good case for it? Or have I overjustified the purchase to myself ;)

3 comments:

Syl said...

No, I think those are all awesome reasons to buy the wii for your parents. My parents are visiting this week and I think the Wii will keep them nicely occupied while I am at work. And, if my sister hogs my laptop, my dad can use the wii to get online.

Anonymous said...

i don't have one, but i like playing with jonas' wii (hahahahahhahahahaa). I think it's a great idea and if it works let me know and I'll try it on my parents.

Right now I can't see my parents taking to the Wii, cuz my dad is so old skool (never been on the Internet) and my mom is too into being out and about.

Anonymous said...

So this is embarrassing, but Christine bought us a Wii in April and 2 short weeks later I had wiitis- it's real, google it- and I had to quit all non-essential computer use for TWO WEEKS! It was HELL. I recommend Wii bowling in moderation. Don't let it happen to you! :)