Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Why the lack of attention at last night's earthquake in California?

I am finding it curious that the national and international news outlets I subscribe to (BBC news, The New York Times & Channel News Asia) have scant mention about last night's earthquake in California. Given all the accounts that I've managed to gather, the earthquake registered at approximately 5.5 on the richter scale and its epicenter was near Milpitas, south of the city of San Francisco. I think that 5.5 is a pretty large termor. While, there were no deaths and most of the damage reported tended to broken glass etc, the people who experienced the earthquake certainly expressed their fear and concern. We wrote to a couple we know in CA about it and received the following humorous reply:

"We were at home and he told me to told onto our new HDTV so that it wouldn't fall over! I guess I know what his most prized possession is!"

Coming back to my earlier point, I have definitely noticed great discrepancies in the coverage of news across the various newspapers and channels in the US. Unlike in Singapore where there is a monolithic news entity whose main job it seems is to cover every government official's public appearance. However, there has been almost no attention from international and East Coast news outlets about the earthquake. Is it a "local interest only" story? Is it because there is news fatigue from the news coverage of the tragic fires in California last week? Or is there something else that I am missing? Help me out here ...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If your friend's instinct(i'm guessing it's Jonas) was to hold onto the TV my guess is that the 5.5 isn't that bad from the local perspective. California has very high structural standards for earthquake preparedness so I'm guessing there wasn't significant damage associated with this tremor, so that might be why there has been little news coverage. When I lived in Japan (where I probably experienced 1 quake a month) the ground could shake for a good minute and nobody in the school even thought twice to take cover because it was probably just a 4.0 quake....either that or a big rig rolling down the street outside.

jude said...

Your instinct is correct :)

A said...

I'll tell you why you didn't hear anything.

No actor-prostitute sex scandals.
No model-drug scandals.
No athletic-animal scandals.
No cheating, homosexual politican scandals.
No celebutantes falling down, or getting botched plastic surgery.

Basically, the earthquake wasn't as sexy as all that other stuff that we barely care about. At least we know that a TV was saved in all this madness. Phew! Now I need to go mop my brow.