Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Orange royalty


Blood orange
Originally uploaded by ghetto of our mind.
Inspired by Wendy's lovely picture here, and an alluring blog post by Elise of Simply Recipes, I picked up a couple of blood oranges while at the store yesterday. From the outside, these oranges look fairly regular- they're actually kind of small; but when you cut into them, they're anything but. Instead of the familiar orange, you are rewarded with a deep intense garnet red that's all the more stunning set against the white pith and orange skin... And not to mention the literally blood-colored juices that wonderfully stain your fingers...

And the flavor is a whole other story altogether. I didn't know what I was expecting, but any kind of orange should at least taste like an orange right? Right, but also so much more. Blood oranges taste almost like berries, but juicer, way juicer. Every segment was like a little explosion of intense citrusy berriness (now I'm just making words up...) I can't really describe it, but it was both interestingly complex, but also so refreshing...

I think I'm in love... :)

No comments: