Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 24, 2008

Explosions in the Sky 'live' @ Reckless Records

Riffing off Serene's last post on "Friday Night Lights", I'll admit to being somewhat moved by that movie as well ;) I have long wanted to watch this film given its recommendation by many friends and reviews. The movie was beautifully filmed and provided a glimpse, for me, into smalltown America's obsession with the town's high school football team and its coaches. But more than anything, I think that Explosions in the Sky's contribution to the film's soundtrack does add an emotional depth to the film. It certainly doesn't go as far as being a "third character" in Peter Berg's (the director) mise en scene of (fictional?) Odessa, Texas. However, the echo-ey guitar pickings, contrasted with the heights of action on the football field convey the sense that what is unfolding before the audience's eyes is a moment in time that these high school football players will not soon forget. I could go on with my take on Explosions in the Sky's contribution to the film's soundtrack, but perhaps I should let the music itself do the talking. Check out the video below of the band playing 'live' at Reckless Records in Chicago. The set-list for this performance is:

1. Yasmin the Light
2. The Long Spring
3. Greet Death

Explosions in the Sky 'live' at Reckless Records

No comments: