Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

** Update: So apparently, it technically *isn't* St. Patrick's Day today. Because Easter comes extremely early this year, yesterday marked the beginning of Holy Week, which apparently takes precedence over all other saint's days. While the Catholic Church in Wales and England omitted St. Patrick's Day as a feast day altogether because it clashes with Holy Week, in Ireland it was observed on Saturday instead. See BBC article here.

Well, many students here started their green alcohol binge last Thursday night (and are still drinking as we speak...), so whether or not St. Patrick's Day was celebrated over the weekend or today really probably doesn't matter to them...



A fabulous start to the day! I remember watching this classic Muppets sketch a long time ago and having no clue what Animal, the Swedish Chef, and Beaker were singing about. And as a ten-year-old, I was probably enjoying this too much then to wonder what the bunch of sparkly green leaves were too... ;)

In the words of Cory Doctorow in his Boing Boing post today, I nearly wept... :)

3 comments:

darkorpheus said...

Animal! Animal! Animal!

In some deep, dark Freudian way, I have always identified with Animal.

Actually, I have bits of Beaker and Miss Piggy in my shadow selves too.

serene said...

Just in general, I like the Muppets more than the Sesame Street characters. They've got more of a personality of their own I think... Do you remember Fraggle Rock? I heart!!

darkorpheus said...

Oh. Fraggle Rock! I really loved those little contruction workers that keep building things. And that oracle that's really a rubbish heap?

What are they called? Can't remember!