Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, March 14, 2008

A person's a person, no matter how small...



I didn't have any inclination to watch Horton Hears a Who!, especially after finding out that Jim Carrey's the voice behind sweet, dear Horton. The man can be a fine, fine actor- see Man on the Moon and Eternal Sunshine, but in an animated film- and a Dr. Seuss one at that (anyone remember The Grinch?)- his unrestrained, campy, hammy antics are sure to drown out the wonderful nobility that is the dear Seussian elephant.

But after seeing this clip, I might just change my mind. Honestly, I never thought I'd *ever* hear a version of this song that I'd enjoy. For some reason, I really dislike it. C'mon, "It's time to bring this ship into the shore/And throw away the oars, forever... And if I have to crawl upon the floor/ Come crashing through your door..." The metaphors are *so* bad- even by '80s standards- that the only thing the song's good for is a parody. You just can't take it seriously... Which is why I love how it's being used in the movie. Love it! I've been watching the clip over and over and I'm getting a face-cramp from all the smiling and laughing! And that emo, edgy Jo-Jo is the one who sings that last resounding cheesy line which then saves all of Who-ville makes it all the more delightfully tongue-in-cheek brilliant :)

No comments: