Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 07, 2008

My first Saturday back in A2...

...was spent giving in to my basest vegging tendencies.

Morning: Woke up the latest I have this whole week actually, 8.30 or so. Called home to wish my parents a HAPPY WEDDING ANNIVERSARY! Their 33rd, which is pretty amazing :)

Morning-ish: Jude and I laid in bed listening to a This American Life podcast via my phone (the Break-Up episode, complete with Phil Collins and The Postal Service is simply inspired...). And tinkering with the Pandora app which I love.

About noon or so: Finally dragged ourselves downstairs for lunch. Hotdogs with a mozzarella/heirloom tomato salad. There wasn't anything good on TV and we ended up watching some strange how-is-this-meant-for-kids? cartoon on Cartoon Network.

Afternoon: The whole afternoon after lunch basically went by in a blur- I remember watching a documentary on the History Channel about Chinese gangs in San Francisco, falling asleep on the couch, and waking up to another documentary, this time about gangs in the military. Drifting in and out of a nap, I think I might have watched about 30 minutes of Save the Last Dance (the one where Julia Stiles is a ballet dancer in Chicago) on mute while Nick Drake was playing on our stereo (Don't ask me why I was watching TV on mute- I guess well-written angsty songs are better than badly-written angsty movies).

Late afternoon-ish: Couldn't bring myself to move from the couch so I just spent the next two hours or so re-reading The Watchmen in anticipation of the movie. Note to self: I shall spend the rest of the night doing this too :)

Before dinner: My half-marathon training today is supposed to be 40 minutes of cross-training so Jude and I decided to bike to Zingerman's for dinner and then bike back (no one said I couldn't use food as motivation...) It was very doable and we wondered why we never thought of biking to the Farmer's Market before. Dinner was delicious as always- pastrami and corned beef on rye with two kinds of cheeses and mustards. Dessert was even better- droolsome burnt sugar gelato and a shot of deep, dark, slurpy Spanish drinking chocolate. It made biking home 1) harder, but also 2) all the more necessary.

After dinner: I think it was a combination of food coma and the soothing cusp-of-Fall weather that lured us back to the couch for more vegging. Channel-surfed between Failure to Launch (I can't believe Jude actually enjoyed parts of this- but only parts...), a hyper-colorized Bad Boys II (which police departments allows car chases with a Porsche? Only in Miami it would seem), and Walk the Line (I *heart* Joaquin Phoenix).

Late-ish at night: Jude's DVD project for this semester- after conquering Battlestar Galactica last semester- is The Wire. He's starting right from the very beginning so it's a looong road ahead. I've been trying to watch with him this past week but jetlag always got in the way. Did sit through a couple of episodes tonight and they were pretty darn good. I've been hearing great things about the series from a whole slew of different people and I now see why. The production quality isn't the best but the narrative is as gripping as they come, and it hits right between the eyes and lures you right in. And for someone whose only image of Baltimore involves Charm City Cakes (thanks to the Food Network) and Hairspray, it was a terrifying refreshing (?) insight into the city.

I was planning on doing some work tonight, but it looks like that plan's about to be shot- basest vegging tendencies don't involve anything productive. Feeling lethargic and drowsy again. I've really been sleeping too much this week. I'm not sure if it's making up for sleep I didn't get enough of in Singapore or I'm still recovering from jetlag, but I'm giving myself till tomorrow to get my groove back. The trip home was really fruitful but now it's time to process all that work and get my data in shape. And since data don't transcribe themselves, someone needs to stop going to bed at 11pm and pull herself together...

3 comments:

Tym said...

I've been watching The Wire too. Finishing up season 3 now; the rest will probably have to wait till I get my back from my trip.

I've also been hearing good things about Mad Men.

serene said...

tym: I'm personally waiting to watch Season 4 which is the season on education. My professors think it's the best thing on TV since whatever series defined their generation so I'm excited.

And I've heard good things about Mad Men too- I read an article on the plane about it and made a mental note to start watching it this season, but then realize I have to catch up by watching Season 1 first...

All the best on your trip, and have fun! :)

darkorpheus said...

The Wire. That's another one to catch on DVD. Thankfully it will not be available in Dubai. :)

I can beat you on veg-out anyday. Just pass me DVDs.

Good luck crunching those data.