Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 08, 2010

One year

Exactly a year ago this very moment, Sophie was born.


This is the part where I guess I'm supposed to start gushing emotionally about how big a deal this is, go on about all the things Sophie has done/learned/developed over these 12 months, and wax lyrical about the joys of motherhood. But the thing is, words fail me right now. How does one capture the profundity of an entire year of stumbling, learning, growing, re-learning, but also wonder, delight, and pure, unadulterated happiness?

Just this one thing- that at this moment, exactly a year after her birth, I love my daughter so fiercely, so deeply, so joyfully, so wholly, and so surely that my heart would burst from feeling so much...

Happy, happy birthday sweet child.


How did you get so big overnight?
How did you get so smart and bright?
Yesterday you were asleep in my arms
Today you're growing off the charts.
I'm so proud of you.
- Frances England, "You and Me"

2 comments:

Debra said...

Aww, this made me all weepy - you couldn't have said it better. Hope you had a very happy first birthday, Sophie :)

PS. Got her a little something - Will pass to your sis to keep till your next trip back!

serene said...

I'm sure you know exactly what I mean, Debra! You must be so excited that Sean's turning one in a few days too!

Thank you in advance for your gift- I'm sure it's wonderful. My sister has our gift for Sean that she'll pass to you at Sean's party- can't wait to see photos!