Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 14, 2005

Children's Letters to God

I'm reading White Teacher by Vivian Paley right now for the class I'm teaching. It's about her experiences as a kindergarten teacher in an intergrated school within a predominantly white middle-class neighborhood. I guess what strikes me most about the book apart from the honesty and candor with which she talks about her teaching, is the genuine and guileness nature of children. Paley peppers the narrative with vignettes of her experiences and they're at times exasperating, others joyful, but always so real.

This reminded me of a book I bought my sister so very long ago- Children's Letters to God- when she was just a little mite asking for impossible things for the Big Man (bigger feet so she could wear my mother's shoes...) I found excerpts of it off the web- knock yourselves out! you might just want to have one of your own after this, or decide to return the one you have wherever it came from... ;)

Dear God,
Did you mean for the giraffe to look like that or was it an accident?
Norma

Dear God,
I went to this wedding and they kissed right in church. Is that okay?
Neil

Dear God,
Thank you for my baby brother, but what I prayed for was a puppy.
Joyce

Dear God,
It rained for our whole vacation and is my father mad! He said some things about you that people are not supposed to say, but I hope you will not hurt him anyway.
Your friend (but I am not going to tell you who I am)

Dear God,
I want to be just like my daddy when I get big, but not with so much hair all over.
Sam

Dear God,
I think the stapler is one of your greatest inventions.
Ruth

Dear GOD,
If you give me a genie like Aladdin, I will give You anything You want, except my money or my chess set.
Raphael

Dear GOD,
My brother is a rat. You should give him a tail.
Ha Ha, Danny

Dear God,
My brother told me about being born, but it doesn't sound right. They are just kidding, aren't they?
Marsha

Dear God,
If you watch me in church Sunday, I'll show you my new shoes.
Mickey

Dear GOD,
Did You really mean "do unto others as they do unto you"? Because if You did, then I'm going to fix my brother.
Darla

Dear God,
I didn't think orange went with purple until I saw the sunset you made on Tuesday. That was cool!
Eugene

No comments: