Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 26, 2005

I will survive...

He called! I was waiting for Jude to call since I woke up this morning and I'm happy to report that the man has survived the ungodly 23-hour journey (with awful Northwest Airlines food, brusque service & bad movies- except Junebug which he said was very good) and is now hopefully sound asleep in his parents' house in Shunfu Road.

Day 2 of being alone at home has been surprisingly painless. I slept in, woke up past noon, had Thanksgiving leftovers for lunch and am now trying to get my work in order for the rest of the semester. It's going to be one hell of a three-weeks till I leave for home, but seeing Jude again and spending Christmas with friends & family will be powerful motivations to suck it in and get it over with. If I can survive the next 20 days, I can survive anything...

On a lighter note, since Jude's gone, I figure I need other distractions from the tedium of work. Ended up borrowing three videos which I think cover a good range of movies. There's a summer blockbuster, War of the Worlds which we ended up watching together when he was packing the other night. If you ask me, everyone in that movie should have been killed by the aliens. Nothing in the movie made sense and the acting was deplorable: Tom Cruise was just plain smarmy, Dakota Fanning needs to be taught that there's a difference between yelling & screaming and real acting, and Tim Robbins' wonderful talent was so regretfully squandered that he should have jut shot himself.

I also have a sappy tearjerker- The Notebook. All my female students swear by both the novel and the book and insisted that my life would not be complete if I haven't watched it. And this is AFTER I told them that their grade will be determined by how much I enjoy the film. I don't know how I'd take to watching a love story and missing my husband at the same time, but if my living room lamp shortcircuits, you'll know why...

And lastly, Jude recommended an art-house documentary, Born Into Brothels. It's about child prostitutes working in the red-light districts in Calcutta. We've been wanting to watch this for a while but I just know it's going to be such a discomforting experience. I have a hard time watching anything with children in pain or suffering, but I guess if I seriously want to work with and help these very kids (well, not these kids specifically, but disadvantaged children in general), then this is something I'm going to have to deal with.

How's your Thanksgiving holiday going?

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Hey Serene. I didn't know that Jude left A2. Your big apartment must be lonely without him. Hang in there for the next few weeks. This semester will be over before you know it. Oh, and by the way, I completely agree with you about War of the Worlds.