Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, January 30, 2006

年年有余, 步步高升*



So preparation for Chinese New Year (or whatever can be considered "preparation") began last week when we gave the house a good spring cleaning of sorts- nothing elaborate like decorating the place with pussy willows and red banners for luck of course (which I do miss a little...). Mercifully, the weather was nice & mild yesterday and so we managed to give Ocha a thorough wash. I think we haven't washed the car since November when the weather turned brutal for a month or so, so if I were Ocha, I would have been eternally grateful for the good bath :)

These cleaning rituals are symbolic of ridding oneself of the remnants of the old year in order to usher in the new year afresh, ready to receive the good luck and blessings with which it comes. Here's a website to check out all the traditional practices associated with the Lunar New Year. Some of them are a little silly (not washing your hair on New Year's Day??!!) but I also grew up with so many of them and there's always something to be said about preserving some element of one's cultural identity.

Lunar New Year's Eve is supposed to be the time when all the members of the family come together for a meal, and as I imagine my entire extended family feasting on my grandman's heartwarmingly satisfying 8-course dinner, Jude and I had a roast beef dinner of our own. I know, I know, more Thanksgiving than Chinese New Year, but hey, it's just the two of us- at least we didn't just call for pizza! Some of Jude's classmates did get together for a New Year potluck of sorts today though. Everyone brought a little something homecooked and it was nice. None of the symbolic yu sheng, fatt choy, or nian gao like home, but it was good fun just the same :)

So to everyone who celebrates the Lunar New Year, here's wishing you a joyous Year of the Dog blessed with great prosperity, happiness and longevity!

*May you enjoy a surplus in your fortunes every year, and rise in success with each new endeavor! (Traditional Lunar New Year greeting)

No comments: