Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Cranberry Hootycreeks


Our friends have been most wonderful in telling us that the Christmas present we gave them turned out really scrummy so I figured I should try it out on my own (how embarassing is it when people thank you for a gift you haven't the slightest clue about and which could have been an absolute disaster...). So thankfully, the semester is starting off well (read: only two classes and research this term- my entire physiological system thanks me...) so I took some time off reading today and decided to bake. And also anything to take my mind of the depressing winter weather. Oh my, we're talking gooood cookies man... I'm sure I didn't cream the butter and eggs correctly (without a hand-mixer, I had to whisk them up by hand which meant the result wasn't exactly "fluffy"- tell me this is THE unforgivable deadly baking sin, Wendy) but who cares, the cookies turned out great!

I couldn't resist popping three into my mouth minutes after they came out of the oven (what have I been saying about Serene Koh's lack of self-control?). Y-U-M-M-Y!! I actually enjoyed the sweet creaminess of the white chocolate which was nicely balanced by the slightly tart cranberries- and this is coming from a person who categorically does not eat white chocolate (excuse me, but that's like saying decaffeinated coffee is acceptable...) We ran out of white sugar so I had to use Splenda instead but trust me, no harm done whatsoever.

Hmm... I could get used to this baking thing...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?! Serene, I can't believe you are discriminating against chocolate. Et tu, Serene?

Pardon the following tackiness, but integration begins in the home, er, kitchen:

I have a dream that all chocolates will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their cocoa but by the deliciousness of their taste.

I have a dream that one day in a kitchen in Ann Arbor, a recipe will be created where little dark-chocolate chips and little milk-chocolate chips will be joined together in the same mixing bowl with little white-chocolate chips, (and maybe candy-coated chocolate chips), and will be eaten together in the same bite.

This will be the day when all of us will be able to sing, 'My chocolate, 'tis of thee, sweetness of liberty, of thee I sing.' And if this chocolate recipe is to become a great recipe, this must become true.


And, when you do have that phenomenal recipe, send me a copy!

serene said...

allison, you're too funny! nicely done! i am deeply moved by your fervent advocacy for equal chocolate rights. that was a very stirring speech :)

and because of that, i, serene koh, henceforth promise to heed your call. from now, i will make every effort, to the best of my abilities, to be an equal-opportunity chocolate user/ eater. i shall be a shining light for chocolate consumers all over the world and end the heedless and regretful discrimination of what i used to think as lesser chocolates...

let us march together toward the promise of The Recipe!

Anonymous said...

Check one for good deed of the month! Maybe now I can take on some other humanitarian issue: like homelessness and poverty, cancer, slow drivers and people who are terrible at parking cars, or illiteracy. Ahhh...I'll just stick to food.