Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Heavy metal me?



So what do we find in the New York Times Sunday Magazine after driving 3 hours to and from Ohio? This article sort of encapsulates why I was excited enough to make the trip to watch Boris perform at the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus.

The performance was LOUD and there were a few surprises for me (to say that this was not Serene's cup of tea would be an understatement). Firstly, I have only recently been introduced to Boris' music and I was surprised at the make up of the audience for the show. There was equal representation from the black-t-shirt-with-jeans-and-optional-metal-piercing crowd and those from the button-down-oxfords-with-chinos camp, which I suppose tells you something about Boris' music- think Black Sabbath meets Phillip Glass, part metal, part ambient/ postmodern, all experimental. The second thing that surprised me was Wata, the band's petite female guitarist. Her demeanor and stage presence completely belied the extradordinary performance (see video below for a short snippet). And the third and biggest surprise for me was sunno)), the other act of the night. I was totally caught off guard by the what this band pulled off on stage that night. The NYT article paints a very accurate description of their performance. For me, my take on it is that they really spared no expense in using the fog machine that night.

All in all, it was a rather interesting evening for me. Serene stuck out for the Boris half of the show and then had to admit defeat when sunno)) came on. We travelled with Aiko who wanted to come along with us for the show. And we got to drive through Columbus, OH, which is an interesting experience. All I can say is that Ohio is really flat (and I mean two-dimensional-not-a-bump-in-sight flat), and the drivers, really slow. When it says 65mph, people there drive 65mph. Maybe my expectations of driving speed have been set by my stay in Michigan?...


[What we managed to capture of the concert on our camera...]

6 comments:

serene said...

Let's just say, after Boris and Acid Mothers Temple 2 weeks ago, I've earned enough cache to demand Jude's company at the soppiest, schmaltziest chick-flick ever conceived by womankind, say The Lake House? or another re-run of You've Got Mail... ;)

Nick said...

Mr Yew, do you invent all these bands? because I've never heard of any of them -_-;;

Not Jude @ SIN
JUST
Nik @ LON!!

Anonymous said...

(Ah-ha! See? I'm not the only one who thinks Jude just makes stuff up!)

But, besides the speed limits, I'm glad you enjoyed Ohio. Although, that band wasn't Serene's cup of *coffee*, I'm going to look them up. Sounds like my kind of music, (maybe).

As for the 65 mph, driving 80 for 10+ miles will probably get you at least one ticket. So we slow down in Ohio. Oh, well. Saves gas.

Anonymous said...

Serene, for soppy movies try Beaches or Howards End.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You went to see BORIS?!? Awesome! I managed to miss ALL THREE shows that I wanted to see lately. SIGUR ROS, MOGWAI, and then PELICAN [with MONO!] Auugh!

DON CABALLERO is playing in Lansing, MI this week though, I may have to go to that!!

jude said...

Yup. We caught Boris and Acid mother's temple. Boris was way worth the trip. but then i would be comparing apples with oranges wouldn't I :)

by the way brian, you posted a garage band on your blog sometime ago, a two piece band. I can't remember the name of the band. Care to refresh my memory?