Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Lost- Part I

The last time I obsessed over a TV series like this, I was still in school, I hadn't yet met Jude (because if I did, he would have given me such a hard time about it- he still does actually...), and I believed that the most profound love story of all time was between a Slayer and a vampire (who wouldn't??). Wednesday nights were Buffy nights and nothing would get in my way. The hour between 9pm- 10pm were sacrosanct and anyone who knew me also knew better than to ask anything of me in that 60 minutes. I would have ignored them even if they tried.

And now, almost 8 years later, the same thing is happening- no thanks to my husband who decided that we have to catch up on the whirlwind of a phenomenon otherwise known as Lost. We watched it in bits and pieces throughout the two seasons but nothing sustained. Jude got really caught up with it just this past season and figured we should just start from scratch and watch the whole darn thing right from the beginning. This is where we say a prayer of thanks to Blockbuster Online. We've watched the first 8 episodes of Season 1 already, and now I'm obsessed. Message boards, conspiracy theories, website games, fan-fiction, you name it, I've been there, sucked into the Lost miasma this whole last week. That's it, even if it means staying up till 4 in the morning, I'm going to watch the rest of Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2 before next Wednesday's re-run so we can follow the whole labyrinthine narrative in the right order.

I do have to say though that some parts of the series compel me more than others- Jude loves the intricacies of the plot and the mind-games the writers play. I suppose those intrigue me, but it also gets really frustrating after a while and it drives me absolutely loony... I like the relationship more, the characters and their flashbacks. I have nothing but respect for writers who can weave intricate character tapestries and still keep the main action of the plot going- now that's what I call good TV.

On a fluffier note, it helps too that there's plenty of eye-candy involved, both for the guys and the women. Came across this quiz on the web (told you I've been sucked in...). Let's see if people can figure out who's got me gripped on the show. There are 4 choices, and I'll give you the weekend to take a shot at guessing. We'll see who knows me best! This will be fun... (Ok, Sam and Jude can't play coz they know...)

Jack- The doctor with the martyr complex
Sawyer- The Southern rogue with a past
Hurley- The lovable one who used to be a mental patient
Charlie- The former rock star (and former hobbit) with a drug problem

8 comments:

srah said...

Ain't nobody don't love Hurley!

srah said...

Speaking of eye candy, Sayid and Jin also live on this island. Mmmm.

Here is one of my LiveJournal userpics.

Anonymous said...

Having never seen the show, (to not know what I was getting myself into), my quiz results:

Hurley

17 other people got this result!
This quiz has been taken 55 times.
31% of people had this result.


Ahh, I'm doing this again...
Sawyer;
Jack (took some tweaking);
Charlie!? (No hobbits! I take Jack!)

That was fun!

Anonymous said...

"Mr. Wizard" and "Danger Mouse" were all the good T.V. I needed until they played "Anne of Green Gables" on PBS.

My life was never the same.

srah said...

Oh Gilbert Blythe! How I love thee!

serene said...

Sadly, I don't think we ever got Anne of Green Gables in Singapore...

And I'm glad you got the doc Allison- I'm not telling yet if he's the one that rocks my boat, but you should DEFINITELY start watching the show. Get Season 1 on DVD and watch the re-runs of Season 2 on Wednesdays. That'll get you ready for Season 3 come October!...

Mishi said...

whahha that's me n prison break season 1-- obsessed.
if you like LOST, i figure u'll find prison break pretty intriguing as well as good eye candy!!

Anonymous said...

You totally like jack...