Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Someone put the kettle on...

So how difficult is it to find a good and reasonably priced kettle?? We walked out of the house early today (I can't believe we woke up before 9am on Saturday morning...) armed with a list of garage sales all over Ann Arbor, a map of the city, a belly-full of the kind of greasy, vaguely satisfying breakfast only MacDonald's can provide, and a heart full of hope to be able to find a kettle for less than $5 to replace the one that indescribably went kaputt on us a couple of days ago...

But alas, it was not to be- we saw all imaginable household products from salad spinners (there were plenty of those for some unfathomable reason...) to fondue pots (that looked like they were manufactured before I was even born) to toast holders (why people would pay for a contraption like that continues to elude me...), but no kettle. Jude did get a brand new Adidas raincoat/ shell for $1 (obscene!), and we bought a couple of framed pictures at a steal (the frames alone would have cost at least five times what we paid...).

We even went to Kiwanis hoping to find our elusive kettle, and believe it or not, amongst their ridiculous array of kitchen appliances, there was only one kettle, but it was tiny... Fine, if we need a kettle, we'll buy a new one. So we set off to Target, TJ Maxx, a hardware store and even the Asian grocery store to see if we could find one of those electric hot water boiler things. It was ghastly! The prices ranged from $17- $54.99. More than $50 for a kettle? What? does it magically enrich my water with minerals that will make me live forever?? Even $17 seemed a little pricey for something that simply changes the temperature of water. I was not a happy woman...

Anyways, we came home defeated, $23 poorer from all the things we bought at the garage sales that we DIDN'T need, and dying for a piping hot mug of coffee to soothe my frayed nerves at not getting the one thing we had woken up early for, and the one thing I need to make my coffee... On a whim, I plugged in previously mentioned (and apparently kaputt) kettle into the socket, and a minute later, the thing starts to heat up! What do you know? it wasn't broken! Words could not describe how happy I was at the mundane sound of the kettle hissing and whisting away... A minute after that, I had my coffee, and everything about the world was right again... :)

Come oh come ye tea-thirsty restless ones - the kettle boils, bubbles and sings, musically.
- Rabindranath Tagore

3 comments:

Noor said...

I can't see you two at Mickey D's (there's a Mickey D's in Ann Arbor?!?). I always imagine you two somewhere Ann Arbor-trendy like the co-op or Sweetwater's or somewhere in Kerrytown I don't know about.

serene said...

you guys are the only two people i know who call MacDonald's MickeyD's... :) it's so cute... and yes Noor, there's one on Plymouth, right by our place.

and as much as we would like to nourish our bodies only with fair-trade coffee and alfafa sprouts scones, at the end of the day, we ARE afterall poor grad students who on days must admit to being able to afford only the mass-produced products of a global fast-food fiend...

srah said...

I recommend Amazon for kettles.