Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

1.2 million photos geo-tagged on Flickr in 24hrs!!!


According to the latest entry on Digg, 1,234,384 photos were geotagged in the first 24 hours after the launch of the new Geotagging feature on Flickr. The latest entry on the Flickr blog outlines what geotagging is and how you can go about using the new tool. Essentially, you can associate your photos to a location on a google-like map. We've geotagged some of the photos from our camping trip in the U.P.. You can find our geotagged photos at this link.

I have to say that Flickr has made taking photos and sharing them so much more fun. They really have improved the way I use the photos I've taken by enabling me to sort them in sets, categorizing them with tags, sharing them with friends/family and participating in like-minded groups. Now, with the geotagging feature I can show people exactly where the photos were taken and even find other photos (or individuals) that were taken in the area. I know I'm sounding like an acolyte at the altar of Flickr, but I give credit where credit is due. Flickr has definitely improved the my experience with photography and to a certain extent, is also dictating the way I take my photos nowadays. It's making me take photos with the knowledge that I'm going to share them with family and friends. So much so that I realize that I've been taking a lot of photos to show the context of a situation.

No comments: