Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq...

So yes, I was upset that Lost didn't get as many nominations as it did last year (or as many as I think it should...); I was also sorely disappointed at Megan Mullally's sleep-inducing thank-you speech. You would think that having played the self-absorbed, acerbic, totally un-P.C. and keel-over-laughing hilarious Karen Walker for 8 years, my favorite character on Will & Grace would have accepted her Emmy with a little more flair and punch. But no, she didn't, and I could have spent that 30-seconds watching my nails dry and it would have been more scintillating.

Still, I dutifully sat through bits of the Emmy's happy enough, especially watching Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart give out an award together and the former throwing an obnoxious hissing fit at the shame (and sham if you ask me) of losing to Barry Manilow :) But the most delightful moment of the night hands-down has to be in the middle of Hugh Laurie and Helen Mirren's presentation. He was at his annoying best, translating with an affected accent everything she was saying into French. Helen Mirren is of course not one to be outdone, and throws words like "winnowing" at him, daring him to find the right French word. And after she delivers the line, "[winnowing] literally hundreds of stunning performances into a meagre list of just five...", what is dear Mr. Laurie's French translation? "Poof! Cinq..."

Just exquisite! :)

1 comment:

srah said...

I love Hugh Laurie! I thought some of the behind-the-scenes winners (directors, writers, etc.) were more entertaining than most of the actor winners.