Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Of brown polka dots and red shoes

Despite the very consistent and disciplined posting of this past month (which could be easily misconstrued as us having much free time and little else to do), Jude & I have actually been crazy insanely busy this summer. He's been taking stats classes (don't ask. Just. Don't.), and I've been over my head churning out papers as part of my internship for Columbia (which I'm not complaining about because it is going to pay for our trip home over Christmas). Blogging has been a relief from the mentally claustrophobic drone of academic writing and so, in my latest attempt to take a break from work, I have a flaky, ditzy question, people...

What shoes does one wear with a polka-dotted silk brown dress?

Ok, before you think Serene Koh has clearly lost it and gone off the deep-end with that random question, I have to say this: my dear best friend is getting married in December and she has wonderfully asked that I be her bridesmaid (ok, I KNOW, it's matron-of-honor since I'm married, but I turn thirty in 70 days- and yes, I'm counting-, let me hold on some semblance of my youth please...). Since I am clearly not the center of focus of the day and she has graciously let me choose my own dress, I thought I'd get something versatile that I can wear both at her wedding and whenever else as well. So this is what I picked from JCrew:


I love the sweet polka dots (I think there're polka dots somewhere in the wedding theme), it's a warm and lovely chocolate brown, light and flirty enough for the crazy humid Singapore weather, and more importantly, it can take me from chapel to cocktail party ( I hope). Now my headache, what the heck do you wear with a brown dress? Black shoes? Beige? Or god forbid, white? My style gurus Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear always say, when you can't figure out what color shoe to wear, go one extreme and make it a statement. They once paired a turquoise dress with a pair of red shoes and it was stunning. So people, red shoes with a brown dress? A bit much? At a wedding?...

I have a pair of scarlet red satin red heels I wore for our wedding reception that look almost identical to this, except they have ankle straps instead of slingbacks, complete with the teeny diamante buckle.No one's going to be looking at my feet right? (Heck, no one's going to be looking at me for that matter...) So what do you think? What would Stacy and Clinton think? Or maybe I should just go buy a pair of strappy champagne sandals (which will undoubtedly flatter my flat feet, making them look like a cross between an overstuffed dumpling and a strung up beef roulade...)

Oh, as an aside, after telling me that the dress is lovely and for me to go get it, this is what else my best friends has to say about it:
Just to test your movie-buff credentials, which blockbuster 1990 hit starring major characters from Seinfeld and Chicago Hope featured "this dress" in a polo match?!"

Answer

See why she's my best friend? We speak movies... :)

8 comments:

srah said...

I think beige or tan shoes would work. I think I'm too introverted to pull off the red shoes. Maybe with another red accessory (wrap, necklace?) in addition to the shoes?

srah said...

Oh, and I like the dress. :)

serene said...

thanks sarah! i really like it too :) now if i can only figure out those shoes...

Mishi said...

ooo the dress is lovely! gosh. very sweet. i think red shoes add the finishing touch! go for it!

Tannie said...

Hi Miss Koh! I'd go with the red shoes. I think if you used a red waist belt with the dress, it'd be extra pretty :)

Anonymous said...

Well, first: does the bride have any restrictions on dress (n. A style of clothing), despite the freedom to choose your own dress (n. Clothing; apparel)? If so, ask her.

I love the style of shoes, but I'd go with a dark green/teal color, or light/pastel pink, or pale, pale tan.

Stacey and Clinton would also say that you could wear black shoes, as they would serve as an accent to the brown. Just as long as you didn't wear too much black to compete with the brown. (Like black, patent leather, leather, or satin shoes and a brown clutch purse.)

And a pearl necklace. If any of this helps....

Anonymous said...

kathy says:I love to watch Stacy and Clinton I too have been experiencing a problem matching shoes to a brown dress outfit I love the idea of going with the red shoe or even a teal by the way I simply love that red shoe I think it would be perfect

Anonymous said...

I found your blog by searching brown dresses and red shoes .iwas trying to get a mental picture as my daughters bridesmaids will be wearing brown dresses with red shoes. From the pictures of the dress and shoes I think they`ll look great together and I am kind of relieved. thanks