Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Fixed!

I swear, you can learn to do anything via the internet. If I ever decide one day that I'm going to build my own hairdryer, I'm sure I'll be able to find out how to online. So anyways, after a couple of disgruntled comments from IE users that my webpage was clearly discriminatory of their browser choice (oh puhlease...) as well as a really sweet long-distance call from my dad just to ask me if there was something wrong with my site coz he couldn't see it properly, I decided to apply myself more actively to solving the whole IE problem. Ok people, in the past two days, not only have I gained a whole new vocabulary- hack, quirk, workaround, element- all of which have a totally different meaning from what I'm used to, I've also felt more ignorant and clueless than I've ever felt before. I mean, I'm fairly intelligent, right?... But really, trying to understand these online discussions about scripts and codes was like trying to engage in a conversation about quantum physics in a foreign language... So anyway, to make a long story short, in the end, Serene Koh- the English major with no technical computer background whatsoever- has managed to solve the IE bug problem of her website all by herself. Here's how it looked like on IE before the workaround:


Here's how it looks like now:


I'm actually rather proud of myself :) For those of you who are interested, here is where I finally found the solution I needed (this is after having to suffer through many incomprehensible websites). I had to then tweak the code some more, and after much painstaking experimentation, finally got it right.

I am woman, hear me roar...

5 comments:

Anneke said...

Yea!! I am crazy impressed by your MAD SKILLZ. Seriously.

Stan D. said...

Ah yes Serene, welcome to the world of web programming! These sort of things make you want you to poke your eyes out with pencils... on the bright side, if you found this in any way enjoyable, MITRE has a position for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey...you never sent me your code. Even though you fixed it yourself, could I take a look? (my own edification...)

A said...

Oh, and, uh...if you didn't know...CSS is not a standard across browsers.

And, I don't think it ever has been. Forever.

(I think they do that just to mess with people. If you want to suck our time, give us games!!)

Anonymous said...

Hey...can I get a copy of your code anyway, even though you solved it yourself? Just for my own edification...