Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Make it work!

[I spoiler tagged the parts about the results so I won't ruin the fun for those of you not in the U.S. Only scroll over (or highlight if you're an IE user) if you want to know who won Season 3 of Project Runway.]

Julie's silhouette
Originally uploaded by jyew.
Jeffrey won???!!! C'mon... My bet was on Uli, who's just such a lovely person. She was the first to hug Jeffrey after Tim Gunn announced that he was still in the competition, and with such genuine affection. And her clothes! Beautiful!! I've always loved her designs, and just as you thought she was going to be just a one-trick pony, she wowed everyone today with that stunning line.

In the end, we figured Jeffrey won because his clothes were more haute coutureesque, whereas Uli's didn't exactly break new ground. Jeffrey's definitely the more innovative of the two, but still, his *&^%$#@! attitude throughout the whole season notwithstanding, I just didn't think he deserved to win the same way Uli did.


The show aside, a bunch of friends and I came up with what we feel is an inspired idea to celebrate Halloween (sorta) early, and dress up for the finale in show of our support for Project Runway in general, and Tim Gunn in particular (isn't he just everyone's favorite teacher??). The theme is to come dressed either as a designer, a judge, or one of the challenges. The party, ladies and gentlemen, was a complete and utter blast!! Check it out here.

Most people turned up as the Black and White challenge (some even hand-made their outfits!), but there were a few sublime exceptions. Jude taught today till 8.30 so in the absence of a special outfit, we said he was going as the "Elle Editorial- An outfit to best capture your style" challenge, which in his case, if anyone asks, is geek chic... ;) I had problems figuring out which challenge my outfit would best capture, and in the end, I guess it's the International Jetsetter challenge (because it's kind of dressy but comfy and travels well) meets Couture (because it's sparkly). I had to "walk the runway" barefeet though coz I couldn't bring myself to buy a pair of shoes just to match my outfit. It seemed to work; although neither one of us won prizes for Most Imaginative, Best Presentation, or Most Like the Show, I got a prize just for how sparkly my skirt was :)

So yes, now you know what grad students are really like beneath our geeky facade. In reality, we actually don't study at all and have a lot of time on our hands which we spend by getting together in weird outfits and celebrating our collective nerdiness by drinking beer and watching TV. Ahh... the sweet life :)

No comments: