Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, December 18, 2006

Be happy together.

These are the words engraved on my best friend's wedding ring. They were told to Duncan by his grandma and that's the sentiment that's going to now guide their marriage. Just be happy together. Simple, but so important...

So yes, the wedding was lovely. Just lovely. Everything from the tea ceremony to the church solemnization to the lunch reception went on as envisioned; but more importantly, did so because it all stemmed from a genuine and deep affection for Aileen and Duncan. All the organization and coordination weren't just tasks to be accomplished or a schedule to be fulfilled, but individuals' gift to the couple on their wedding day for being two of the most wonderful people around. And so insanely in love... :) I almost cried just watching Duncan's face as he read his vows (thanks to the vantage point of standing next to Aileen...)

And no, I did not trip on my two-inch heels. Buddy Holly's True Love Ways was the perfect tempo for the processional [and reminded me a little of the last song I walked down the aisle to... :)] and by the time S Club 7's You're My Number 1 came on for the recessional, I had been in those shoes for 4 hours and wore them like second skin. And yes, you're seeing right- S Club 7 (or S Club, since they're now down to 6 members...). This was Aileen's one concession to Duncan :) Apart from embodying all the requisite characteristics of the proper Englishman- loves soccer, incredibly polite, armed with a wicked sense of humor and an unfathomable affection for all things tea- he's also been a now not-so-closet fan of the British bubblegum pop group. And of course, he loves Rachel...

I am also proud to report that my speech went down as planned- all the aeronautical engineers laughed at my Airbus A320 joke (thanks to Aileen for a heads-up on that one...), people didn't just sit dumbstruck when I made a reference to her many emails of undying devotion and promises of lifetime servitude (cue canned laughter...), and I did what I promised her I wouldn't do (all energies must be harnessed to prevent those fake eyelashes from falling off)- I made her cry. I think it also fit in well with everyone else's speech- the father of the groom, the best man and both Duncan and Aileen- so that was nice too.

Anyways, the newlyweds are off skiing in Japan as we speak and I can't wait to catch up with them when they get back in the new year. It was one of the most beautiful and moving weddings I've been too and it gives me great joy to have been just that little part of it :)

Congratulations Mr and Mrs Duncan Colyer!

No comments: