Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 11, 2007

I'll be seeing you...

I hate this night. Truly truly... Not this specific night per se, but all the nights just before we return to Ann Arbor again. Because we fly Northwest, our flights out of Singapore are always at 6am in the morning. Jude and I try not to sleep and just spend the night packing. We find the tiredness helps somewhat to numb us from the general dreariness of the NWA food, plane, and sulky service.

I hate this night because this is when I miss home most. I know it sounds strange- I haven't even left yet. But it's in the silence of my old room, amidst bits and pieces of things that used to be mine, now mixed up with Sam's trinkets, and surrounded by my luggages all packed up that I'm stung most acutely by homesickness. You would think that having done this four times, it'll get easier. It doesn't. I don't know what it is about this year- I don't even remember feeling this sad the very first time Jude and I made this 22-hour journey across the world. Maybe it's coz we took things a little slow this year, and there was more time to just relax and enjoy everyone's company without the stress of running about. It just makes you appreciate each individual person's role in your life that little much more.

We'll be leaving for the airport in about an hour. Everyone's asleep right now. I guess I am looking forward a little to returning to Ann Arbor and starting work again- this trip home has been inspiring in a whole lot of different ways and I can't wait to get started on my research. But it's sad too- we'll miss all the friends we caught up with this time round- it was great catching up with you guys and we'll be thinking of you as we return to the frosty Midwest! More importantly, hugs out to our family- for the gifts exchanged, rides home, meals prepared, swims together, breakfasts bought, movies shared, games played, and words mis-pronounced.

We love you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ta Ta... the grass is equally green on both sides. Sometimes I do wish that Singapore were a floating island (with a glass dome of course) so that we can move it just next to the States (or anywhere else). Still working on a teleporter in the mean time.

Chris said...

Hi gal,

Bye Bye... Will miss you. The next time you get back, the kid should be able to call you "Aunite Sero" already. Or would you prefer "Jie Jie Sero".

Love Chris