Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Dude abides...

I tried. Really, I did. Despite attempting once before to watch the whole thing through and failing miserably, I agreed to sit down with my husband as he watched his all-time favorite movie- for the 112th time- that just happened to be on TV.

I still don't get it.

I love the Coen brothers- from The Hudsucker Proxy to Fargo to Oh Brother Where Art Thou?- but the appeal of The Big Lebowski, and Jude's (together with a veritable legion of similarly-inclined male 30-somethings) undying devotion to the movie will always continue to elude me. Maybe there's something about trying to watch anything vaguely intelligent after 2 in the morning, or maybe it was the incomprehensible censoring that completely obliterated any trace of the divine John Turturro.

Or maybe I just have to accept the fact that The Big Lebowski will always be one of those incomprehensible things whose popularity will baffle me forever... like decaffeinated coffee, reality TV and Will Ferrell.

2 comments:

Syl said...

Oh my God, my husband JEff is absolutely in love with that movie too. He can quote any line from any scene.

serene said...

See- I don't get it!!.. Does he try to convert you into a Big Lebowski devotee too? :)