Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Jude's personal webpage - feedback anyone?



I have been obsessing over my personal webpage for the past couple of weeks. I don't know why ... well actually ... I do know why. Having graduated with a degree in HCI, I feel the pressure to not muck up my personal webpage. It's like if I were a plumber and I mess up my own home's plumbing, what would folks think ;)

Anyway, I've finally gotten the webpage into a decent enough shape for public consumption ... more importantly I just needed to get it done so I can move my energy on to other more pressing matters ... like graduating :)

So, folks, I am asking for some help here. Click on the image above to get to the webpage, and browse through it. I would love to get some feedback about what works and what doesn't.

Also, I am toying with the idea of getting a domain name and a hosting service. Any recommendations for a hosting service? As for the domain name, I am not sure whether I like the idea of having my own name as the domain name. I don't know ... what do people think? Is it too passe to have www.judeyew.net?

3 comments:

Matt B said...

The page looks good! I was a little surprised that the "popular tags" took me to delicious - I was expecting them to be links to your own content.

As for hosting, I like Dreamhost.com. I've hosted sites there for several years, and never had problems. In fact, http://www.matthewbietz.org/ is there. (I like having my own domain.) Feel free to list me as your referrer if you sign up! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Jude, we don't know one another, but I figured I'd chime in on your call for help.

First thing - aesthetically, your site looks great. I love the tabs. One thing that jumped out immediately though, were the "Popular Tags".

I know that the tags are a huge component of your visual layout, but to be honest, they overwhelm me a bit. I guess I also question the usability of the tiny faded tags at the bottom, as nice as they appear. I've always thought tags function best in a sidebar or in your case, maybe a tab? Where would that leave your front page? Well...it would be much more minimal. If you wanted to up it a notch, I'm sure you could figure something out though. ;) One more thing to add about your tags...by clicking on one of the delicious tags I am immediately brought AWAY from your site. Perhaps I just got to your site and wanted to stay a while. People may think by clicking on a tag they will be brought to content within your site (which make sense, right?).

Again, just my two sense.

Regarding web hosts, I use asmallorange. I love them! If you ever need help and contact them, they get back to you within 15 minutes or less. I also rarely experience any server issues. :)

That's about it. I hope my input was helpful.

Good luck to you and your future endeavors. Sounds like you'll be graduating soon :)

jude said...

Thanks Matt & Sarah. I'll definitely look into the hosting services that you guys recommended.

Based on the feedback from the both of you, it would seem that there's an issue with the tag cloud ... I'll definitely think about it some more and make some changes.

Thanks very much for the feedback guys :)