Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Tune(s) of the week: Varo - "Pieces of April" & "Amores Perros"





This was a real serendipitous find! I've known that Taiwan has a burgeoning Taiwanese music scene but it's often difficult to find recordings even in Chinese music stores. There are a number of reasons for this; 1) there's an established chinese music infrastructure that makes it difficult for young bands to make a break, 2) my grasp of chinese is unfortunately very very bad, I tend to know the band's name in English but not in Chinese. However, random goggling around last night led me to Pacification Records - an online music store that specializes in music from Taiwan. It was here that I found out about Varo - You can find out more about them on their webpage and their MySpace site. What's interesting about the band is that they compose and perform original compositions of music that are their interpretations of prominent independent films. Hence the titles of the tracks that I linked from their website above. Good stuff I must say :)

Other Taiwanese music acts I am flagging for myself to check out:
Chasing Sparrow

No comments: