Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

A Jude favorite


Bak Kut Teh (Peppery Pork Rib Soup)
Originally uploaded by jyew.
So we'll be home in about a month and half; till then though, my husband continues to be assailed by those pangs of longing for local food. Last night, we made nasi goreng (Indonesian Fried Rice), and while it doesn't come close to what we would have gotten at home, it served its purpose adequately.

Tonight, I'm making bak kut teh, pork ribs in a light, peppery broth. It's one of Jude's favorites and I think it'll be good for dinner. The weather's been doing that freaky thing where it's hot and sunny one minute, and really chilly and rainy another, so all we're really craving right now is something warm and comforting. Besides, Jude's coming down with a cold of some sorts and a nourishing soup for dinner will hopefully do his system some good.

I want to say that I made the dish from scratch, but alas... I have neither the time, skill, nor availability of many of the herbs. And so, as with so many of the foods that we miss from home, it's Prima Taste to the rescue. To those of you who scoff at all things pre-packaged, you clearly 1) have a coffeeshop/ hawker center/ food court round the corner from you where you can get a plate of char kway teow for less than US$10; 2) have the time and fortitude to scour for authentic Southeast Asian ingredients in order to make these things from scratch, and/or 3) have not tasted any of the Prima pre-mixes. Their chicken curry and laksa are particularly good. And the best thing is, I just discovered that they have an importer here in the U.S.! No more lugging back packfuls of the stuff to be hoarded and rationed till out next trip home!

1 comment:

miss susana said...

I'm so proud of myself. I immediately understood when you wrote 'char kway teow.' If only learning languages were as easy as eating the words.