Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"It's our Fashion Superbowl..."

I think it's awesome that Jon Stewart's a Project Runway fan! :) Jude and I were just channel surfing as we always do when we have dinner in front of the TV, when lo and behold, we came across Comedy Central showing a re-run of The Daily Show with Tim Gunn as his guest! It was a most delightful segment- I love Project Runway (only one of three things I regularly watch on TV these days, next to No Reservations and Lost)- I think it's probably one of the few reality TV shows where the contestants are genuinely talented and where they actually make something. But most of all, I love Tim, because we should all be so lucky to have a mentor as kind but exacting as him. And for someone working in the sometimes over-the-top world of the fashion industry, I think it's wonderful how level-headed and down-to-earth he comes across as.



Tim Gunn: I'm the first to encapsulate this realistically. Nobody needs it. We need clothes, do we need fashion? No. And fashion, when it's good, comes out of a context that's societal and cultural and historic and economic and political -- so it's of a time and a place.
Jon Stewart: Why isn't everyone as reasonable as you, as a human being?

Awww, Tim... So well said. Like Jon Stewart, a sane voice speaking over the sometimes ridiculous and banal realities of our world. To see two of my favorite men on TV together last night made me a very happy girl :)

No comments: