Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

"He no nuts, he's crazy!"

The Indiana Jones franchise will always have a special place in my heart. They came out during a time in my childhood/teenhood when going to the movies was a real treat and the whole experience of watching a film was always dazzling and exciting. Particularly Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom- it was one of the first movies I vividly remember my dad bringing us to watch, and I developed my very first movie crush on Short Round, a.k.a. Ke Huy Quan :)

So is it any wonder that just hearing that familiar theme music again is awashing me in a massive wave of happy nostalgia? Thank you, John Williams :) I just broke out into a silly grin when I saw the trailer for the new Indy movie, and it stems less from wanting to see the movie than the memories it evoked. I really feel little inclination to watch it- I think Harrison Ford needs to just age gracefully and accept that his days as a swashbuckling adventurer action-hero are over. Why join the ranks of Sylvester Stallone and Steven Segal huffing and puffing through another Rambo XIII, Under Siege XVI, or whatever?... Looking at him swishing away like he was twenty years younger, I'm afraid he might just have a coronary aneurysm any moment. Please take care, Mr. Ford. I want to always remember you as the dashing, charming, acerbic Indy of my childhood- I really like you and respect you, but I'm not sure I want to watch a movie where you pretend you're Nicolas Cage...

4 comments:

darkorpheus said...

And yet, I can deal with an aging Indy as long as I can watch Cate Blanchett ham it up as a villain with Anna Wintour haircut and "chicken-pants"

Besides, Harrison Ford still has better hair than Nicholas Cage.

serene said...

I hear you- at least he doesn't have a receding hairline... And I *was* going to say that they only reason I would see the movie would be for Cate Blanchett and that crazy bob wig. Campy Cate- woo-hoo!

Chris said...

Somehow and somehow, I always remember River Phoenix as young Indy in The Last Crusade. Sean Connery, Harrison Ford and River Phoenix - 3 generations of leading men in one movie. I thank the casting director : )

serene said...

right?? that was such inspired casting man! :)