Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A day in the life of...

A typical day for the past week or so:
8:00 - Up and about
8:10- Check email. Answer emails
8:25- Breakfast
8:35- Watch the news
[Maybe sneak in quick phone call with Jude]
9:00- Get ready to leave the house
9:15- Out of the house to catch the 9:30 bus
10:00- In the office
10:30- Teach
1:00- Lunch
2:00- Office hours or meetings
4:30- Leave the office
5:00- Get home with desperate need to just crash
5:30- Run/gym/yoga/veg-out in front of TV (depending on how the day went...)
7:00- Make a Meal for One
8:00- Dinner in front of the TV
8:30- Prepare for class the next day/ answer emails from students/ grading/ chatting with Jude online
12:00- Read/watch TV in bed
12:30- Go to sleep thinking of how things are going to be exactly the same the next day...

In fact, this has pretty much been everyday these last ten days or so, except for weekends. I'm assisting in a summer research methods course and because it meets everyday, the workload has been crazy intense. The day goes by in a blur and before I know it, I'm in bed just past midnight and in the morning, the whole cycle starts again...

Thankfully, on the food front, I think my Meals for One have been going really well- no cereal and cold milk yet- not that I haven't been tempted ;) But I've also come to the conclusion that making these semi-elaborate meals for one has become a way to distract myself from the fact that I'm alone at home. Typically, the time between five and eight in the evening is usually when we make dinner, watch some TV together, and just unwind before starting work again at night. Without Jude around, I occupy this "dead" time (because honestly, who *is* productive at 6.00 in the evening?) by pottering around the kitchen, painstakingly finely chopping up mint when bashing them would do, laboring over a time-consuming rice-pudding when I could have had graham crackers with cream cheese, or prepping a fancy salad instead of getting take-out. I figure, it's cheaper than therapy :)

1. Honey-mint glazed chicken, 2. Maple-cranberry rice pudding, 3. Porridge with ground pork and spinach stir-fry, 4. Mango Caprese salad, 5. Pan-fried halloumi, 6. Panzanella, 7. Bacon and swiss chard pasta, 8. Vichyssoise, 9. Toasted poppyseed bagel with cream cheese and pesto

2 comments:

Noor said...

welcome to being single! Well except that my meals aren't anywhere as inspired or elaborate as yours!

I think you should create a blog about meals for one . . . you could totally be the next Nigella Lawson! :)

serene said...

That's so sweet of you to say, Noor :) I just find making these meals really therapeutic and it helps alleviate the loneliness a little...